Australia Awards – Bhutan will be conducting online/face to face Information Sessions starting in February 2023 for potential Australia Awards Scholarships applicants for study commencing in 2024.
How to apply
Do you want to be a leader in your field and make a difference in Bhutan? Applications for Australia Awards Scholarships are now open
An Australia Awards Scholarship provides you with the opportunity to gain an internationally recognised qualification from an Australian institution. It includes all the necessary support and funding to complete your study.
Your career will benefit from new knowledge, leadership skills and the links you create both in Australia and through the Australia Global Alumni network. On your return home, you can make a vital contribution to the social and economic development of Bhutan.
The application process is transparent and competitive, providing equal opportunity to all eligible applicants, regardless of gender, ethnicity or disability.
Applications for Australia Awards Scholarships commencing in 2024 are now open and will close 3 May 2023.
Apply now for your opportunity to gain world-class education and become an emerging leader for development with strong links to Australia.
For Bhutan, Australia Awards Scholarships will be offered for Master’s degree-level study in the specific priority fields listed below:
- Construction Project Management
- Education Studies
- Forensic Science
- Human Resource Management
- International and Development Economics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Screen and Media
- Strategic Studies
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
For further details, please refer to the following priority fields of study lists agreed to by the Royal Civil Service Commission and the Ministry of Education and Skills Development.
To be eligible for an Australia Awards Scholarship, you must meet certain standards in English language proficiency, with the results valid as at 1 January 2024. At minimum, you must have:
- an IELTS (Academic) score of at 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2024.
English language testing
The cost of English language testing can be high. Proper preparation considering your individual needs is key to successfully submitting your application.
If you intend to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship, you are encouraged to complete either an IELTS, TOEFL or PTE language examination well before your application is due.
People with disability wishing to apply are encouraged to get in touch with English language test centres as early as possible so that necessary adjustments can be made to meet individual needs.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
In addition to meeting the general eligibility criteria, applicants from Bhutan must also:
- have completed a tertiary level qualification at least equivalent to an Australian bachelor’s degree
- be employed in an organisation on a full-time basis
- have at least three years of relevant work experience, including probation periods
- have relevant academic background for the proposed study program (see priority fields of study lists agreed by the Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC) and the Ministry of Education and Skills Development (MOESD))
- apply for a Master’s degree in the agreed priority fields of study – (see lists provided by RCSC & MOESD)
- provide an employer nomination letter from the Human Resource Officer of the parent organisation/agency. In addition, applicants under the purview of the Ministry of Education and Skills Development must also submit a nomination letter from the Department of Workforce Planning and Skills Development (DWPSD).
- meet any other eligibility criteria specified under the BCSR 2018 or the ‘HRD Rules and Regulation for Non-Civil Service Sector 2022’, whichever applies.
Generally, Scholarships will not be available for courses of study in Australia where the applicant has already achieved that qualification and the qualification is deemed to be equivalent to the Australian qualification.
Australia Awards will request recognition of prior learning for all Scholarship recipients from Bhutan. If this request is granted, the recipient may be placed in a degree program shorter in duration than that they originally applied for.
Australia Awards – South Asia & Mongolia will conduct online course advice sessions for potential Australia Awards Scholarships applicants to learn more about Australian universities and courses via Zoom. Please register here to attend one of the course advice sessions, which will be on the following dates:
- Saturday 18 February 2023
- Tuesday 7 March 2023
- Saturday 18 March 2023.
A video recording of the course advice session on 7 February 2023 is below.
What are Australia Awards?
Australia Awards are prestigious international Scholarships, Fellowships and Short Courses funded by the Australian Government. Australia Awards equip recipients with the skills and knowledge to drive change and contribute to the economic and social development of their own countries.
All recipients of Australia Awards become part of the Australia Global Alumni network, connecting them to Australia and to each other — building an engaged and influential global network of leaders and advocates, and establishing a network of ambassadors for Australia and its first-class education system.
An important area of focus for Australia Awards is the empowerment of women and the inclusion of people with disability and individuals from disadvantaged social groups.
What are Australia Awards Scholarships?
Australia Awards Scholarships are long-term development awards administered by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. They aim to contribute to the development needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements.
They provide opportunities for people from developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian institutions.
For Bhutan, Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for Master’s degree-level study in fields agreed with partner governments and aligned with Australia’s development, economic and public diplomacy priorities.
The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to development in their own countries.
For more information about Australia Awards, visit https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/australia-awards-bhutan-information-for-intake.pdf
What benefits are provided?
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. Benefits include full tuition fees, return airfares, contribution to living expenses and medical insurance. Please check the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook for detailed information about Scholarship benefits and entitlements.
Applicants who accept an Australia Awards Scholarship must sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the Australia Awards Scholarship. Scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their Scholarship.
For further information, contact the Australia Awards office in Bhutan:
Karsang Building (No. 4), Room 204, Chorten Lam Thimphu 11001, Bhutan
Mobile: (975) 17127450, (975) 17127451, (975) 17128452
- Australia Awards information – Australian Government website
- OASIS (User Guide)
- Universities and Courses in Australia
- University websites
- Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students
- International English Language Testing System
- Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Pearson Test of English Academic
- Department of Home Affairs (Student Visa: sub class 500)
Please be wary of false advertising and scams. Only refer to this website’s resources and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website here for information regarding the application process for Australia Awards Scholarships. No money is paid for an Australia Awards opportunity at any stage of the process.